It’s easy to project our own experiences and understanding of the world onto other people, and sometimes it’s even easier to do that with scripture. The Bible is the eternal Word of God and able to speak into all times and places, and yet it was written in a specific context. To simply ignore the world out of which the Bible sprang is to risk missing a lot of what the Bible teaches us, and to perhaps think it is teaching us something it isn’t.
Join us for this online class on the “World of the New Testament” taught by Dr. Jim Davis, Bill Kettenring, and Tyler Kirkpatrick. We’ll delve into the people, events and perspectives that shaped the world Jesus was born into.
- Week 1 (4/27): “The Three Worlds of the Text,” Dr. Jim Davis
- Week 2 (5/4): “The Story in Between,” Tyler Kirkpatrick
- Week 3 (5/11): “The Herodian Dynasty, the Sanhedrin, and the Jerusalem Power Struggle,” Bill Kettenring
- Week 4 (5/18): “The Literary World of the New Testament,” Dr. Jim Davis
- Week 5 (5/25): “The People of the New Testament World,” Tyler Kirkpatrick
- Week 6 (6/1): “The Temple Destroyed and the Pharisee-Christian Struggle,” Bill Kettenring
- Week 7 (6/8): “Intertextuality in Matthew’s Gospel” | Dr. Jim Davis
- Week 8 (6/15): “The Book of Signs in John’s Gospel | Dr. Jim Davis
- Week 9 (6/22): “A Case Study of John 2” | Dr. Jim Davis
- Week 10 (6/29): “Introducing Revelation” | Dr. Ian Paul and Dr. Jim Davis
- Week 11 (7/6): How to Read Revelation | Rich Buckham
There are two ways to participate in this class:
1) The class will be taught live by Zoom call on Monday nights (4/27, 5/4, 5/11, 5/18, 5/25 and 6/1) at 7pm. Click the link below to join the live session!
2) A recording of the live class will be uploaded to YouTube and saved on this page.
Week 11 – How to Read Revelation | Rich Buckham
Week 10 – Introducing Revelation | Dr. Ian Paul and Dr. Jim Davis
For Week 10, we began with a video by Dr. Ian Paul, an expert in the book of Revelation as we lead into a study of the book as a whole. Watch that video first. Then, we did some Q & A and open discussion, which can be found below the Ian Paul video.
Week 9 – A Case Study of John 2 | Dr. Jim Davis
Week 8 – The Book of Signs in John’s Gospel | Dr. Jim Davis
Week 7 – Intertextuality in Matthew’s Gospel | Jim Davis
Week 6 – The Temple Destroyed and the Pharisee-Christian Struggle | Bill Kettenring
Week 5 – The People of the New Testament World | Tyler Kirkpatrick